Dogs usually consume what they shouldn’t. They’re not fussy about what they eat, from the road or your dish. It’s rarely surprising that a dog has ingested chewing gum. A handful of compounds can be dangerous to dogs if provided to them. Xylitol, a chemical commonly located in sugar-free chewing gum, is on the checklist.
Is Gum Dangerous to Dogs?
Your dog’s health is at risk depending upon the sort of gum it consumes. Sugar-free gum is highly dangerous to dogs. This is because of Xylitol’s component, which is derived from various plants. When ingested in large enough doses, it can be hazardous to dogs.
If your dog eats sugary gum, it isn’t likely to trigger any harm. Nausea and even gas are side effects that could be harmful. Vast quantities of gum eaten all at once by your dog are unlikely to block the intestines.
Things to Do When Your Dog Ate a Chewing Gum
It shouldn’t be a big deal if your dog mistakenly swallows some chewing gum. Besides, people frequently ingest gum without issue. Chewing gum is unsafe for dogs, so pet owners should keep it unreachable from their pets.
Gum can cause severe poisoning, even if it has previously been chewed. This is why it’s essential to be prepared if your dog accidentally consumes gum. This article discusses why dogs should not swallow gum and what to do if they do.
Watch Out for Xylitol Poisoning
Pet owners that aren’t educated about the dangers of gum ingestion will think it’s not a big deal. Your dog can pass it with feces, but Xylitol is the danger here. Xylitol, a natural alcohol found in chewing gum, is a sweetening agent.
One serving of Xylitol stimulates the pancreas to release a significant amount of insulin quickly because it is swiftly taken into the dog’s bloodstream. A considerable amount of xylitol-laced gum can trigger liver failure in your dog. A telephone number for a veterinarian from vet clinics like Englewood vet clinic is essential in an emergency like this.
Call Your Vet Right Away
Do not put off taking your dog to a pet emergency clinic if you spot them chewing on gum. You do not have to wait for your dog to display symptoms before taking action. It may be too late for your pet if the poisoning progresses to this point.
Hydrogen peroxide can induce vomiting by the veterinarian in particular circumstances. Unless your veterinarian informs you to, you should refrain from doing this. Veterinarians hope that vomiting will cause your dog to spit out the gum. Even if the dog vomited the gum, you must still take it to the veterinarian center.
Keep a Close Eye on Them
Xylitol poisoning would necessitate a lengthy stay at the veterinarian’s office for badly ill dogs. Your dog’s treatment will continue until the gum passes and the blood sugar level stabilizes. When you return home from the vet, keep a watchful eye on your dog over the following few days.
Do not neglect signs like vomiting, diarrhea, and a lack of interest in physical activity as indicators of disease. If your pet shows any unusual symptoms, bring them back to trustworthy vets like VRCC veterinary surgery clinic.
Keep your gum far from your dog, specifically sugar-free gum that includes Xylitol, and do not store it in places where they’ll be enticed to snoop around. If you think your dog has chewed gum, the above guideline should be instantly executed. Preventative steps are possible, and they’re the most effective.