If you’re like most fur parents, you’ve probably had to deal with your dog getting into something they shouldn’t have. Maybe they ate something off the ground that you didn’t see or got into the trash and pulled out something. In any case, it can be a worrying experience when your dog ingests something they shouldn’t have.
Is It Dangerous if Dogs Swallow a Foreign Object?
You probably wonder what happens if your dog swallows a foreign object. This is not ideal, but it does not necessarily cause panic either. In most cases, dogs will pass the object without any problems. But sometimes, it may become lodged in the digestive tract or cause other issues.
If your dog swallowed a foreign object, consider doing the following:
1. Call Your Veterinarian
This is always a good idea if your dog has ingested something they shouldn’t have. They can give you specific advice on what to do and whether or not you should bring them in for an examination.
2. Monitor Their Stool
If the object is small enough, it will likely pass through your dog’s system without any problems. You can monitor their stool to see if the object comes out in the next day or two.
3. If Possible, Know What Kind of Object They Ate
This can be helpful information for your veterinarian. They may want to know what the object is made of and how big it is.
4. Avoid Giving Them Food and Water if You Suspect Obstruction
If you think the object may be causing an obstruction, it’s best to avoid giving your dog food and water. This will help prevent vomiting, which could make the obstruction worse. Instead, call your vet right away.
5. Try to Keep Them Calm
If your dog is acting anxious or in pain, it’s best to try and keep them calm. This will help prevent any further irritation to the digestive tract.
6. Maintain a Close Watch on Their Behavior
In some cases, dogs may act differently if they’ve swallowed a foreign object. They may be lethargic or have a decreased appetite. If you see any changes in their behavior, call your veterinarian right away.
7. When in Doubt, Call Your Vet
If you’re unsure about what to do, it’s always best to call an experienced vet. They can give you specific advice for your situation and tell you if you need to bring your dog in for an examination.
In most cases, dogs will be able to pass a foreign object without any problems. However, it’s always best to consult with your vet if you’re unsure about what to do.
When Should I Be Concerned?
There are some instances where you should be particularly concerned if your dog has swallowed a foreign object. Look for the following symptoms:
- Loss of appetite
- Abdominal pain or bloating
- Difficulty defecating or urinating
These could indicate that the object has become lodged in the digestive tract and is causing an obstruction. This can be serious or even life-threatening if not treated promptly. If you notice any of these symptoms, don’t hesitate to bring your dog to a reputable vet clinic or hospital, such as River Valley vet clinic.
What to Do If the Object Is Stuck
If you think the object may be stuck, it’s important to seek professional help right away. This is especially true if your pet starts to show signs of discomfort, such as vomiting or diarrhea. Your veterinarian will likely want to do an x-ray to determine if the object is lodged in the digestive tract and, if so, where it is located.
They will then take appropriate action to remove it. In other words, surgery may be required to remove the foreign object. This is more likely to be the case if it’s a large object or if it’s stuck in the stomach or intestines. Click here to know more about vet surgery.
After the Object Is Removed
Once the foreign object has been removed, your dog will likely need to be monitored for a period of time. This ensures that there are no complications from the surgery or from swallowing the object. Dogs often make a full recovery and can return to their normal activities.
However, if your dog swallowed a poisonous substance, they may need further treatment. For example, they may need to be given IV fluids or receive oxygen therapy.
Tips on Preventing Pets to Swallow Foreign Objects
The best way to handle this situation is to prevent it from happening in the first place. Here are some tips on how to do it:
- Keep an eye on your pet when they’re outside. If you can’t be with them, put them in a fenced-in area or on a leash.
- Don’t leave trash where they can reach it. This includes things like garbage cans and recycling bins.
- Keep an eye on them when they’re inside too. Don’t leave food or small objects within their reach.
- If you have young children in the home, keep their toys out of reach of pets as well.
- Be mindful of what you’re feeding your pet. Avoid giving them table scraps or anything that might be easy to choke on.
If your dog has swallowed a foreign object, the best thing to do is to call your veterinarian. In general, they will be able to pass the object without any problems. However, there are some instances where it may become lodged in the digestive tract or cause other issues.
If you notice any concerning symptoms, don’t hesitate to seek medical attention for your pet. Prevention is always the best medicine, so take care to keep an eye on your pet and keep potential hazards out of their reach. On top of these, choose a vet clinic or hospital with experts in different areas, such as veterinary internal medicine, pet surgery, dentistry, etc.